Sunday, December 30, 2012

"Les Mills Combat" starts today in my living room!

After writing Les Mills for years asking for BodyCombat to be available on DVD, my wish was finally granted... well sort of, but this will definitely do!
Les Mills Combat
I attended BodyCombat classes at my local YMCA for two years until they replaced it with stupid Zumba (yeah, I know a lot of people love it, but they took my favorite class away. The wound still hurts.). BodyCombat is the only fitness that I have found that I truly LOVE!  Firstly, the moves are choreographed to relevant music of today.  Music is my number one passion in life! The beat gets inside you and just makes you want to move! Secondly, the punching and kicking really helps to relieve stress. I feel like a strong woman after the class is over.  Like I might actually be able to kick somebody's ass if needed. And the moves are real ones that are done in various forms of martial arts including Karate, Jujitsu, Boxing, etc.  It is like taking a mixed martial arts class that is set to music.  Love it!  Thirdly, martial arts moves require you to engage your core which means... FABULOUS ABS!  My middle section causes the most insecurity regarding my body.  After a round of BodyCombat I stand up straighter and I feel my ab and back muscles getting stronger.  As I have told you, my weight has gone up and down so much over the years.  At one point, BodyCombat helped me lose about 25 pounds.  After several months of this once-a-week class, I could tell there were gorgeous abs under all that flab and hoped I would gradually get to them (I didn't, but other people in the class looked amazing!).  Finally, the group environment holds me accountable, but this holds true of any group fitness class. No quitting in the middle or everyone will know (forced to pace myself better).  Yikes!

Les Mills Combat seems to be everything that I love about BodyCombat but I get to do it everyday instead of once-a-week (Come on abs)!  Of course, there is no group setting in my living room making it perfect for people who are self-conscious. I have only reviewed the material, so I will be able to give a more well-formed opinion after a week or so.  Combat is led by the same two people that lead BodyCombat instructor videos, Dan Cohen and Rach Newsham (they used to be credited as Dan and Rachel Cohen... divorced now I wonder?). Therefore, I anticipate it to be very similar.  I will find out and let you know!

Do you have any favorite fitness classes or DVDs?  It is okay to say Zumba (just not Zumba on Tuesdays at 7pm at the Downtown Y!)

No comments:

Post a Comment